Monday, September 5, 2016

Writing on the Move

Today's EarWorm
Today's Date: September 5, 2016

So I have to join(ed) my friend (who I love to bits and pieces, she is my sister without blood between us okay?) on trips. The first one was on the first. The second one is upcoming on the 12th. Fun times right?

Yeah, especially since I do have, you guessed it, writing to do while I do these.

I actually have a few solutions that work well for me so I thought I would talk about it here.

If you find that something works for you, tell me. I would love to hear that they worked. Or if you do something not on this list, tell me still! I would love to hear everything you have to say.

I don't bite, I promise.

Anyways, let's go over what I do when I'm out and about with no wifi.

Tablet/Phone

I actually have both but the smartphone I have is more of a glorified mini-tablet since I don't have a data plan attached to it. Which is fine. It works for me. 

Really it does. 

Before my friend gave me the phone, I used a tablet with a keyboard. The keyboard, unfortunately, died a horrific death with half the keys not wanting to work. But now with the phone, I can just as easily type on that.

I have GDocs downloaded on it and I do have wifi capabilities, so that's not a problem. As long as I have power and the ability to get some wifi sometime, I can type on any of my files that I have set up for offline work. And I put that to good use.

I open the file I want and I start to write on it. I've done it in car's, on buses before, at the doctor's office, anywhere that the urge to write has taken over me. I pull it out and start tapping it out. Took me a while to get the hang of writing on the damn phone but I can even do it when I'm stuck in bed. Which sucks majorly but it can be done.

Paper and Pen

Ohhh yes, I write the old fashioned way to. Yes, I kind of have to. I have a small hoard of pens and I'm forever finding more to add to that collection. I go through a pen in a month if I'm not doing a lot of hand writing. 

I've learned how best to write in a moving vehicle okay? I've learned how best to hold my pen and how to decipher my already messy writing when it came time to type up the words. 

I never go out of the house without a backpack with a notebook or a binder full of paper, at least three pens, some chapstick, lactose pills (yay for lactose intolerance! Makes eating icecream a fun time), my phone, car charger and charging line, carpal tunnel glove, a clipboard (for a solid surface), a couple of my travel sized notebooks (for ideas), hair clip, hair ties, and a body spray. 

Or two.

As me and my friend say "We don't carry purses for very good reasons. We have a lot of stuff that helps keep us sane". And this is true.

My writing keeps me sane while we wait for our ride to get to us when we have them leave us to shop while they do their thing. 

Oh and lately I carry around a travel sized bottle of suntan lotion and a small thing of baby powder. 

Look, it's not that hard to find a way to carry things around for your use. I use a sling shoulder backpack so I have options on how I want to carry the darn thing around. It has two pockets (one main one on the front and one small side one that usually carries my IPod mini, phone and headphones) and the big area that carries all that I need. 

Cause I do also have to carry a wallet and a set of keys around with me. It's cute and it's durable, and mostly waterproof as proven by being caught in a sudden rain storm. 

It's not that hard to carry around supplies. You carry one such supply on you. And if you can text, you can write on a phone with a GDoc app. 

But how do you write when you're on the move? 

No comments:

Post a Comment