Monday, September 19, 2016

Let's Talk...Sequels

Today's Date: September, 19, 2016
Today's Earworm: "Gansta" by Kehlani



I watched...or rather tried to watch Sinister 2. It's been about a week so far since I tired, and during that time I had to figure out why it didn't appeal to me while Sinister was so damn good.

Then I watched The Conjuring 2 and figured it out.

I didn't like Sinister 2 because when I was going in, I was expecting it to be like Sinister. I'm not talking plot. I know that the mythology in the story was set in stone and most likely they were going to continue on with the demon Bughuul. But I was expecting something more from the film.

Such as the same kind of pacing and seeing things happening at certain times. And a bit more happening with the mother and the kids.

Instead it felt off.

So this got me to thinking about my own sequels that I'm planning on writing. As most of this blog readers know most of my books have at least one sequel planned, and there are a few series that are in the works.

It got me thinking about keeping the pacing and style of the sequel(s) of the first book. Why?

Well, if you think about a series as a building, the first book is a cornerstone. It's what you build the future series off of later.

It sets the characters, the tone of the story, and the main plot points that are to carry into the next book and all following books of that series.

And you kind of have to follow that line through because if you don't it doesn't read right. It doesn't sound right. And it sure as hell looks odd if suddenly you're going off in another direction for the series.

Okay, look, I'm not saying that all series have to be about one character and one build up throughout. I'm talking it has to sound and look as if it's from the same world.

I personally have a couple of series that is more world series then character series.

Wait...what's a world series and what's a character series?

I heard that one coming from a mile away.

A world series is more of a story that is built in the same world but uses various characters as the main focal point of the story. Most often than not, the plot point of that story is different than the last book or the book that follows after it, but it's still tied into the world that was built in the first book.

And, again, most often than not, it is still tied into the recurring plot point that was built upon in the first book.

A character series is a series built upon the characters and uses those same characters throughout the series. The plot for each book can be a single point plot, where it's solved in just one book. Or it can build on a plot point and mix it with a longer point that will be covered in the full series with a single plot point.

It all depends on the writer and the stories.

I myself have a few mixes of both types. I also have world series and character series.

My Honey Drops series is, mostly, a world built series. Yes, I have the characters working towards a single goal for book 7 (I think, I don't have my list in front of me. It might be bk 6), but their own stories are different. They have different plots that they have to get through.

But the style of the story, the pacing and the world will be the same.

For my series Don't Look, again, it's a world built series but again, has an end point that I have no idea where it is. I don't know how many characters are going to end up in this series.

But for my new Comedy-Horror Ex-Retail Worker series, it's a character built series.  Meaning that I have my main characters and they're going to be in all of the books to come. There are two plot points. One plot point is for the duration of the story but it ties into the plot point that will end up finishing in the last book.

It's what ties the rest of the books together.

But again, the pacing, the world and the style of the story will stay the same.

Because that's what builds the series. It's what makes the series good and cohesive.

At least that's what I've found in my writing career.

What are your thoughts on series? What makes a good series to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment