Monday, February 6, 2017

Bouncy Brain and Writing

Today's EarWorm: We Have It All by Pim Stones
Today's Date: February 6, 2017

So the last couple of weeks I have a bad case of what I call "Bouncy Brain". It pretty much boils down to when you can't really focus on anything much less a single story that you're supposed to be writing.

Yeah. Doesn't always happen, but when it does happen, hooo boy does it hit and hit hard. As it has in the last week. I have actually cleaned my room (and mind you, I shifted rooms in December okay?) up some more. My shelves are now pretty much organized and covered in books, knick knacks, and clothes that I wear since I don't have a working dresser any more.

But that's fine.

What's not fine is the fact that I can't focus on anything. Seriously. It took me like an hour of going between files to find something to write on the 28th of January okay? It was that bad. It gets kind of ridiculous really. I currently have three different tabs open to various files and my fellow Writing Groove chatters are all highly amused by the fact that I'm complaining about my bouncy brain.

...Okay, it's closer to bitching, but I try to toe that line. I'm not that mean.

Hell, if I could focus, I would be reading something from Necia that she sent me to get my opinion on. As I told her, if I felt I could focus on her story for longer than ten seconds I would be all over that. I would have shut my computer down, I would have phone in hand and I would be buried under my blankets are I read.

Yeah, the Bouncy Brain is strong with me now.

But...where does my bouncy brain come from?

Well, it comes from the fact that I have, as I've spoken about before, Adult Attention Deficit  Disorder, or AADD. Mind you, I'm used to ADD but I forget that I am an adult and that I do have AADD instead of just straight up ADD. It all comes out to the same thing but my version is less ruled by hormones and is, most of the time, controllable. And if I was on medication, I wouldn't be taking what most teens and pre-teens take.

Or at least their strengths and amounts.

For me though, as I've told a few people, when I get a bouncy brain, it's like my ADD (Yes, I'm pretty much dropping the Adult A from that because it's easier for me) and my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) are duking it out in my head. On one side, I want to write. On the other I want to clean and write and read and plan...well, I'm sure you can see where I'm going with that.

It is also compounded by the fact that I have hypergraphia which is rooted in my OCD.

If you don't remember what hypergraphia is, it is the compulsive need to write. It can have its origins in Bi-polar, OCD (as is with my case) and other mental issues. It's pretty much an outlet for our brains.

For me it's connected to my OCD and it's something that I've had since I was a teen and starting high school. What started out as English assignments and badly written poetry turned into a real love of writing and an unfortunate need to do it.

Often.

Every day if possible and for hours on end.

So when I get bouncy brain it drives me insane. Well, more insane than what this world is doing to my white-knuckle hold on that thread.

Of course, I suddenly have a new dystopian novel running around in my head. Not like I don't already have a duology sitting around in my head.

Okay, to move on from my complaining, right now I'm in the "ooh! Shiny!" phase of my bouncy brain. Which means that it took me two hours to write this short little piece while watching one of SHN Horror Networks Resident Evil playthroughs (Resident Evil 6 pt 1 to be precise), rereading through "Bad Dog" and writing down the information on there, and moaning about bouncing brain.

So for now, I'm simply going to ask: Have you ever gotten bouncy brain? And if so, how did you deal with it? Tell me. I'm curious. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment