Monday, March 14, 2016

Preparing for Camp National Novel Writing Month - April 2016

Today's Earworm: Is actually a show. The Lizzie Bordon Chronicles on Netflix
Today's Date: March 14, 2016

I find myself once more on the edge of another Camp round and can't for the life of me figure out what I actually want to work on this year.

Okay, I'm sure that those who are new to this blog, I join in on the wonderful world of National Novel Writing Month which happens from November 1st to November 30th. During this time, those who are participating try to write 50 Thousand words in just 30 days.

Now Camp National Novel Writing Month happens twice a year. April and July both. I tend to join in the both of them and I do pretty darn well. Then again, we can choose how many words we want to hit for during the month, and I tend to try for between 35K to 40K for each month.

Well, as of right now, I have 2 weeks and a few days until April 1st rolls around. I've already decided that I'm going to try for 35K and rewrite a couple of my stories into fuller, richer shorter novels. Probably novelettes or novellas.

Okay, okay, okay, I can feel the confused looks coming from the lot of you. I really can. Let me breakdown the type of lengths for each type of book.

First, there are short-short stories. They tend to be under 2,500 words total.

Short stories come after that and range from 2,500 to 7,500 words in length.

After short stories come Novellettes, which is a possibly where my two stories will land in. They range from 7,500 words up to about 20 thousand words.

Novellas are the next step. They range from 20 thousand words to 50 thousand words, which is about where most of the writers during NaNoWriMo are aiming for minimum.

Full on novels range from 70K to 90K words.

Now, the genre of the book does effect the total word count. As a general rule, young adult is mostly between 50K to 80K, while adult literary works fall somewhere between 80K and 110K, depending on the genre. Science Fiction (Sci Fi) and Fantasy though tend to be some of the few that get up there in length, along with historical, and a few others.

Disclaimer though: This is not a firm set rule! This is average on what sells and what people are looking for. When it comes time to publish or look for a publisher, you should do your research into what is the best word count. 

For me, as a paranormal horror writer mostly (with forays into romance and fantasy), I'll find my sweet spot between 80 thousand up to 95/100 thousand words total. And those numbers are based off of the Paranormal Genre (75K to 95K) and Horror Genre (80K to 100K) and mixing between the two. 

Now that I got that out of the way, as I said, I'm aiming for about 35K this coming April and the stories to end up around 20 to 30K. I write about 1,100 words per chapter, minimum, and I'm going to try for 20 chapters each. Minimum.

But then, I have this one story that is just sitting here.

Mocking me.

Begging me to write it.

I'm talking about NaNo's 2015 story, my mean bunny story, "When My Eyes Close". I have no idea where I'm going with it really. I have my plot points but I'm having to figure out a few new ideas for the characters since it won't happen in one night but instead spread out over a few months time. And one character that I was going to kill off is now going to live.

And have his own book if I can figure out what to do with him.

I sigh now.

Well, I have a bit of time, don't I?

Coming up next week, Preparing for CampNaNo April 2016! Here I go! Once more into the insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment